Company Secretarial

While private companies no longer need a company secretary, the duties nevertheless still exist. Company secretarial administration is an essential legal requirement in running a company.

Maintenance of proper statutory records and filing documents with the Registrar of Companies are all required for statutory compliance but this is only a part of the far wider duties. The duties of the Company Secretary include advice to the directors of their responsibilities imposed by Companies Acts and preparation of all Minutes and other related documentation.

Company Formations – A Comprehensive Service

Sole Trader

It is important to make sure figures are calculated correctly, so that you make the correct payments.By not calculating the tax and NIC correctly, you may pay more than you have to. If you pay SARS less than you have Sole traders

The easiest way to start a business in SA is to become a ‘sole trader’. This means that only you own the business and you can work alone or employ other people.

You will need to register for ‘self-assessment’ tax, which means you (or your accountant) calculate your own tax.

Limited Companies

You can set up a private limited company to run your business in the SA. You must appoint people to run the company (called ‘directors’) and register (or ‘incorporate’) it with Companies House. As a director of the company, you are also an employee. This means that personal income and business income are separate when it comes to paying tax.

How to do it? To set up a limited company you need to:

  1. Have a name and address for the company?
  2. Register with Companies House?
  3. Have at least 1 director?
  1. Have at least 1 shareholder?
  2. Have articles of association?
  3. Set up your company for Corporation Tax?

Business Partnerships

In a business partnership, you’re running a business as an individual but all the partners share responsibility for the business.

How to do it? With a business partnership you need to:

  1. Run the business as an individual
  2. Share profits between partners
  1. Register for self-assessment with SARS
  2. Name your business according to certain rules

Estate & Will Planning

At PaperChase, we offer one of the most affordable means of guaranteeing peace of mind for both you and the people you care for most. You can give your instructions for the drafting of a professionally prepared Will at a time that suits you, in the comfort of your own home.

Estate Planning is not something that should only be considered by wealthy or retired people. No matter how substantial or modest your possessions and property may be, without proper planning one day there can be complications, ambiguities and high costs for your family and friends. Those with larger estates should obviously be especially sure that their assets are distributed according to their wishes in order to protect their wealth for future generations


Import & Export Licenses

The International Trade Administration Act (No 71 of 2002) makes provision for control, through a permit system, of the import and export of goods specified by regulation. The primary function of this directorate is the administration of the provisions of the International Trade Administration Act with regard to the issuing of import and export permits in terms of Section 6 of the Act and investigations and enforcement in terms of part E of the Act.

The International Trade Administration Commission of South Africa (ITAC) is part of the DTI group of institutions and is responsible for administering the provisions of the Act including issuing import and export permits.

Permits for exporting and importing.

If you want to either import or export goods you will need to complete the required application forms for importing and exporting and submit this to the ITAC. These forms are available on the ITAC website: (click on Documents and then Application forms).

The policy relating to importing or exporting of goods differs from one industry sector to the next. Most new goods are exempt from import control measures. If you want information regarding the import or export of particular goods you must provide ITAC with specific details of these goods.

How can you get a permit?

You must complete the required application forms and submit them to the ITAC office. These forms are available in hard copy and can be collected from the ITAC and then mailed, faxed, e-mailed or downloaded from the ITAC website. Permits are issued free of charge and should be issued in approximately 3 days. Goods that are subject to export and import controls

Not all goods or products are subject to import and/or export control measures. All used goods, second-hand goods, waste and scrap are subject to import control measures. For a list of schedules that contain details of the goods that are subject to import and export controls, view the ITAC website (click on Services and then Imports)

What is the purpose of import controls?

  1. Ensure Used and 2nd hand goods dont erode the manufacturing SACU industry & the job opportunities.
  2. Ensure that industry sensitive goods are imported in a regulated manner.
  3. Ensure that there is compliance with environmental requirements.
  4. Assist agencies with the enforcement of other legislation such as safety
  5. Ensure compliance with the provisions of International Agreements.

Registering as an exporter & importer.

All importers and exporters in South Africa are required to register with the South African Revenue Services (SARS). To download the import and export forms refer to the following SARS link: More

For more information call the SARS call centre on 0860-121 218. Applicants must submit the relevant completed forms to their nearest SARS Customs & Excise branch office. *

* Or we could do this for you.

Accounting Software

Paperchase are registered Sage Pastel re-sellers and can offer there full range of packages at competitive prices. Contact Us